St. Elizabeth Healthcare is proud to offer a Career Exploration Program to provide realistic experiences and learning opportunities to individuals interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. Within the Career Exploration Program participants will learn more about health career options and the skills and education required for different occupations.
Who is eligible to participate?
- High school juniors and seniors (must be 16 years of age and must provide written parent/legal guardian permission if less than 18 years of age)
- College students
- Individuals exploring a second career
Please Read all Guidelines and Disclaimers before applying!
Career Exploration (Shadowing) Program Guidelines
- This experience is designed to be a one-time observation experience lasting up to four hours. It is typically done at the Edgewood campus during Human Resources business hours (7:00 am - 5:00 pm).
- The program allows for observation of healthcare professionals in areas such as Nursing, Pharmacy, Therapies (Physical, Speech and/or Occupational), Dietary/Nutrition, Laboratory, Radiology, Social Work, and Respiratory Therapy. Observations are not permitted in the surgical areas.
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare will make every attempt to accommodate an applicant's interest knowing that patient care and safety is our first priority.
"Other" Program Disclaimers. Please call the following departments for other requests as described below.
1. CREDENTIALED HEALTHCARE PROVIDER
If you are requesting to shadow a credentialed healthcare provider (i.e. physician, physician assistant, APRN/Nurse Practitioner), you must:
- be 16 years of age with a valid driver’s license.
- secure an approved provider who is willing to be shadowed, then contact Angela Chambers in Medical Affairs at (859) 301-9753 or via email.
Please Note:The Shadowing Experience does not include any patient care, treatment, or services, nor does it permit any shadowing in the O.R.
2. VOLUNTEER SERVICES
- Various Volunteer opportunities are available throughout the facility and require a 6-month commitment.
- Extended observations required to enter certain programs (i.e. Physical Therapy) may be able to be accommodated.
- Contact Volunteer Services at (859) 301-2140 or via email to discuss possible longer-term opportunities.
3. SCHOOL-SUPPORTED CLINICAL ROTATION or INTERNSHIP
Your educational facility must have an agreement with St. Elizabeth Healthcare. Please contact Staff Development at (859) 212-4310 or via email. This department coordinates all school contracts, placements, onboarding paperwork and requirements, badge stickers and EPIC access. Please click here to refer to the Student Guidelines for more detailed information on undergraduate and graduate Nursing and Allied Health student practicum onboarding requirements and processing.
|Once you have read all guidelines and disclaimers, please click here for the steps neccessary to apply for the Career Exploration Program.