At St. Elizabeth Healthcare, we are committed to finding a treatment that helps to relieve your hand and wrist pain, once and for all. We know how frustrating it can be when your hand and wrist pain holds you back from doing the most basic things, like dialing your phone. Your Orthopaedic team will work with you to develop a customized treatment plan to restore function to your hand and wrist and alleviate your pain.
Non-Surgical Hand and Wrist Pain Treatments
Non-surgical treatments can be used singularly or in conjunction with one another. Oftentimes, your physician will prescribe a combination of exercises and physical therapy along with NSAIDS to get the most effective combination of treatments.
Specialized hand therapy – our certified hand therapists will work with you to regain strength and movement in your hand. Treatments include range of motion exercise, strengthening, work simulation, electro and thermal modalities, wound care, and edema (swelling), pain, and scar management. We also offer a specialized hand therapy treatment approach for musicians.
- Anti-inflammatory medications – non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) help relieve mild to moderate elbow pain by reducing inflammation.
- Injections – a corticosteroid (cortisone shot) can be given directly into the joint to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Bracing or splinting – our certified hand therapists properly design and build splints or orthotics designed for your hand and your injury. Splints and bracing are used to heal, minimize development of scar tissue, maintain wrist or hand function and reduce pain.
Schedule an Appointment
Is your hand & wrist pain bothering you? Schedule an appointment with our Sports Medicine physicians for a treatment plan tailored to you.
Call (859) 212-5600 to make an appointment.
If surgery is necessary, our physicians can provide a referral to one of our affiliated orthoapedic surgeons.
Surgical Hand and Wrist Pain Treatments
You have the entire St. Elizabeth Healthcare Orthopaedic team on your side to help you find relief from your hand and wrist pain, including:
- Carpal tunnel release surgery – an open or endoscopic procedure to relieve pain and restores proper function to your wrist. The endoscopic procedure is an outpatient procedure performed while you are wide-awake.
- Dupuytren’s contracture surgery – a surgical option to remove the diseased tissue caused by Dupuytren’s Syndrome. During recovery, you will need hand therapy to restore full function to your hand.
- Ligament Reconstruction and Tendon Interposition (LRTI) surgery – a common procedure used for thumb arthritis where the trapezium bone (which is arthritic) is removed. A tendon is harvested and transferred into the space where the bone was removed. This creates a soft cushion for the thumb.
- Stablyx thumb replacement surgery – an implant is used to replace one side of the thumb joint to mimic your natural thumb and replace the structure of the damaged joint. This allows you to keep a more natural structure and function of your thumb.
- Wrist fusion – the bones in the arthritic joint are fused together. Although this procedure can alleviate pain, there is a considerable loss of motion and the position of the thumb can be difficult for you to adapt to.
Schedule an Appointment
If surgery is necessary, our physicians can provide a referral to one of our affiliated orthopaedic surgeons. For more information on surgical options, please contact us at email@example.com.