Developing Options for Violent Emergencies
Domestic Violence is any situation where an abuser will use many different methods to keep power and control over his or her partner. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Physical Violence
- Have I ever been hit, slapped, punched, kicked, pushed, etc.?
- Emotional/Verbal Abuse
- Have I experienced public humiliation, name calling or mind games?
- Have I been made to feel like I can’t survive without the abuser?
- Have I been kept from seeing my friends, family or from going to my job?
- Do I have to account for every place I go and keep track of how long I am gone?
- Do I get accused of cheating?
- Am I threatened with violence, having my children taken away, hurting my loved ones or my pets?
- Do I feel guilty or trapped when the abuser threatens suicide?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may be a victim of domestic violence. DOVE can help you break the cycle of violence.