It’s heating up in the Tri-State, which means BBQs and picnics are on the horizon. Pasta salad is a staple at many of these gatherings, but, often, Aunt Deedee’s macaroni salad and cousin Marci’s variation are covered in fattening mayonnaise or salad dressing.
In this lightened-up pasta salad, the mayonnaise is replaced with a yummy lemon poppy seed dressing and the vegetables are roasted for added flavor.
See the recipe below or click here for a printable version.
Roasted Veggie Pasta Salad
- 2 cups cooked penne pasta (or your favorite shape), drained and rinsed
- 1 medium zucchini sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium red, green or orange bell pepper, cut in 1-inch squares
- 1 small eggplant sliced in 1/4-inch slices (optional)
- 1 red onion, sliced (optional)
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TSP salt
- 1/2 TSP garlic powder
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Lemon Poppy Dressing (recipe below)
Lemon Poppy Dressing
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 TSP Dijon mustard
- 1 TBSP honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread the veggies in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with foil or parchment.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables begin to brown.
- Toss the roasted vegetables and pasta to combine.
- Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle on the basil.
- Serve either at room temperature or chilled.
- Store leftover salad in the refrigerator.