This heart-healthy chicken and rice dish is not only high in protein (perfect for providing a boost of energy), but it also contains ginger, which has shown promise in fighting certain types of cancers.
Inspired by Asian cuisine, this meal is a sweet and satisfying way to keep you full all night long. Get the recipe below or click here for a printable version.
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
Salt and pepper
Crushed red pepper, optional and to taste
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Brown rice, couscous or orzo, cooked according to package directions.
Steamed vegetables, such as cauliflower, broccoli, sugar snap peas, red pepper or your favorite blend.
1. Cook rice, couscous or orzo and set aside.
2. Steam vegetables, set aside.
3. Season chicken with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper, if using.
4. Saute chicken in large nonstick skillet.
5. Combine sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth.
6. Add sauce to chicken; cook stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
7. Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.