Developing Options for Violent Emergencies
At St. Elizabeth Healthcare, we offer Domestic Options for Violent Emergencies – the DOVE program. Our DOVE Nurse receives specialized education and training in providing compassionate, patient-centered, trauma-informed care to victims of domestic/intimate partner violence. We are available 24/7 in any of our Emergency Departments, to anyone who needs our services.
You may choose to have one of our nurses perform a Domestic Violence Forensic Exam. This exam may include:
- Documenting a history of the physical and/or psychological abuse you have endured, in a confidential area of your medical record with limited access.
- Performing a head-to-toe examination to assess for injuries, and photographing them.
- Documenting your injuries in a confidential area of your medical record with limited access.
- Collecting forensic evidence from your neck, if you were strangled within the past 24 hours and have not showered.
- Providing you with safety resources.
Here are some things to know about what to expect through the DOVE program: