Pre-op (Total Knee, Total Hip, Total Shoulder)
After you and your surgeon decide a knee replacement is necessary, there will be several things you can expect.
You will be given information from the surgeon’s office, including the number to call to schedule your pre-admission testing visit. When you call to schedule this appointment, you will also be scheduled for a pre-operative education class.
During this class, you will meet various staff members and be provided with vital information you will need to help ensure the best outcomes possible. Items covered during class include:
- Pre-operative expectations
- What to expect on the day of surgery
- Inpatient hospital care
- Pain Control
- Orthopaedic equipment
- Physical therapy and home exercises
- Preparing your home
- Information on common post-op complications
- Information regarding what to expect following discharge from the hospital
- Services provided by St. Elizabeth’s Care Coordination team
Family members are encouraged to attend the pre-operative education class with the patient to obtain valuable information on how to assist the patient throughout their surgical experience.