You’ll love this heart-healthy recipe that’s simple to make and budget friendly. Plus, it can be enjoyed as a soup, side salad or filling for tacos!
Black Bean Soup
Yield: 4 servings | 30 minutes total
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 Tbsp garlic (jarred, minced)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 jalapeno (chopped)
- 2 16-oz canned, low-sodium black beans (undrained)
- 1 15-oz canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- chopped, fresh cilantro (optional)
- Spray large pot with cooking spray, over medium-high heat add onion and cook until translucent (5 minutes).
- Add garlic, cumin and jalapeno and cook 1 minute more.
- Add beans to pot and lightly mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Add tomatoes and broth — bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh cilantro (optional).
- 245 calories
- 0.5 g fat
- 45 g carbohydrates
- 15 g protein
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 34 mg sodium
Recipe courtesy of 2016 American Heart Association. Shared with permission.