Looking for a heart-healthy recipe to fill you up on chilly winter nights?
This Italian orzo soup will stick to your insides to keep you full all night and – bonus! – it’s also good for your heart.
See the recipe below or click here to download a printable version.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) wheat orzo or pasta
- 1 15-oz can white beans (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups loosely-packed kale or spinach
- Salt and pepper
- In a large stockpot heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and garlic and saute for 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add carrots and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, tomatoes, orzo or pasta and herbs. Stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is cooked as desired.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for 2 minutes or until it is wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.